Friday, January 13, 2012

The Chickens Have Cabin Fever!

The chickens have started migrating outside, in spite of the white stuff they loathe.

I know they do not like it, but are beginning to ignore it in hopes of finding some glorious grass. Thankfully it hasn't been too cold out lately, only averaging around -5 degrees for the past week (or 23 for those Americans reading).



The only one who doesn't want to venture out is Mabel. She never lets me pick her up, but this time she did not protest. Once I had her, she refused to get off my lap - her new saving grace from the wet, disgusting mess covering her beloved grass.

This is her unimpressed look.





Mabel: "Guys.. Can't we go in yet?!"



I see a lot of them raising their feet outside. I'm wondering if it is from the cold, or just their general distaste of the snow.

Pearl seems very interested in Jagger's toes :P



Has anyone else had a rooster that nests? I have noticed Steve getting in the same nesting position as the girls, making perfect little indents for eggs. I have heard of roosters showing their girls the nesting boxes, but he is doing it on the ground, in the straw.

I hope this means Lorraine will be laying shortly??



Come on Lorraine! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I need to have a talk with her when I get home.. Hopefully she will be ready to lay for me by spring...



Last year at this time, we had so much snow..

We broke all time record for the amount of snow on the ground. I spent $200 alone for ploughing alone in February.. That would mean it was over 15 cm each plough @ $25 each time.. You get the idea.. That's 8 days we received snowfall that exceeded 15 cm each time.

We have less than 2 cm right now. It's WONDERFUL!



On another note..

Ruth is really starting to develop his drake curl. I am shocked with how quickly he went from looking like a girl (nearly 2 months ago) and how manly he looks today.



Here he is the first day we brought him home.. Thinking HE was a SHE.. Oops.. Once we get a pet, we have a hard time letting go.. Unless they are mean.. Then we can manage. Although this never applies for our dogs and cats. Have I ever mentioned that I own the cat equivalent of the devil?



I did have another rooster and pullet we sold as a duo to the same guy we got Steve from. He is going to use the male in breeding, and the female sadly passed away. They were so skittish and the rooster attacked Susan :/

We called him Arnold SchwartzenEGGER. He was a blue cochin. He was in an awkward stage here, but he looks so pretty now :)

LOOKIT my baby Mabel! <3 She was so tiny and cute!



Steve: "You know you want this? Check out my sexiness ;) Yeah.. Can't handle it can you?"

Wendy: "NOT INTERESTED!"

Wendy will have NOTHING to do with the boys. She does not squat. I will be surprised if she ever lays!



This is the entire reason they weather the storm. GRASS. Wonderful, delectable, healthy, beautiful GRASS!

McDonalds is my best forager. She is the fastest and flightiest of all my chickens. I assume that's the Silver Spangled Hamburg in her.



Ida is so very small. I can't imagine her weighing more than a pound. She is doing so well outdoors too.

***Sorry if I go off topic ;) I am known to do that. Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to comment! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment